New Loco Asylum inmates – Toby and Laura Edmundsloco
Loco’s asylum doors recently opened once again as two new inmates got sectioned and are now heading for the cells. Toby and Laura Edmunds are a pair of he/she rippers from the colder climes of Scotland. Still hot on the water, however, Toby and Laura will be rocking the big L in 2014.
We caught up with them to see what makes them tick. Over to the duo before their meds kick in…
- Tell us a little about yourselves – we understand you indulge in a wide variety of watersports? Love all watersports including sailing, windsurfing, kitesurfing and surfing. I competed internationally in dinghy sailing.
- Which discipline is your favourite and why? Currently SUPing. No fuss, simple and Aberdeen beach is less than five minutes’ walk from my back door.
- What are your local spots like; typical conditions and moods? Aberdeen and Fraserburgh can be anything from clean powerful swell to windblown mush. On its day it’s as good as any beach anywhere.
- Where’s your favourite place to ride in the UK? Dunnet Bay – amazing clean powerful waves.
- And the rest of the world? Morocco.
- Describe your perfect session? Sunny, 4ft -5ft left handers with a tiny bit of wind blowing offshore to clean it up.
- Give us an insight into your typical day? Busy! I work long hours, so on my days off I want to use every bit of spare time to get on the water.
- What attracted you to Loco? Colours of the boards.
- What gear will you be rocking in 2014? Will be using a Loco 7.10ft for all my sessions and also a new Loco kite board for the windy days.
- Got any trips planned this year? If so, where are you heading? Hoping to get out to Punta San Carlos, Baja.
- Do you have any plans to enter any comps – SUP or otherwise? If they are up in Scotland I would be up for entering.
- Any specific moves you’re training at the moment? Making my wave riding the best it possibly can be!
- Who do you normally ride with? Toby.
- Who’s better in the water – Toby or Laura? Toby.
- Tea or coffee? Depends on the time of day.
- Dogs or cats? Definitely cats – we have a windsurf cat from Crete called Shaka.
- Bacon or sausage? Both.
- Hot or cold? Luke warm…
- Any final shouts or mentions? See you on the water!
- Tell us a little about you – we understand you like a variety of watersports? I sailed when I was a teenager, until someone got me on a windsurf board and I was totally hooked. Now I do a bit of everything.If it’s on the water we either already do it or will have a go at some point.
- Which discipline is your favourite and why? I would have to say it’s still windsurfing. There’s nothing quite like hitting a pitching lip or landing that first freestyle move. SUPing is a very close second though.
- What are your local spots like; typical conditions and moods? North East Scotland gives everything from cross off perfection to massive storm chase style conditions. Really is a perfect playground.
- Where’s your favourite place to ride in the UK? Tiree is definitely up there as one of my favourite places to ride. It’s friendly, welcoming and serves up world class conditions for all sports.
- And the rest of the world? Tough one as I am still discovering places.
- Describe your perfect session? Overhead clean perfect sets with cross to cross off wind either strong enough to be on a 5m sail or light for SUPing – sunny is always a bonus.
- Give us an insight into your typical day? Tough question, I work long hours similar to Laura so never really have a typical day as its always varied. On my days off I am always looking for some water action or adrenaline kick of some kind. This usually involves getting up early – I am sure Laura isn’t fond of this part of me.
- What attracted you to Loco? Joe T to be honest. The brand is going places and it’s great to have the opportunity to be involved in someone that has the same passion. The boards are awesome – a step up from other brands I have tried.
- What gear will you be rocking in 2014? Currently using the Loco 8.4ft which really fits the conditions we get. I’ll also be rocking a Loco 6’0” Tomo Kiteboard
- Got any trips planned this year? If so, where are you heading? Hoping to visit Punta San Carlos later in the year.
- Do either of you have any plans to enter any comps – SUP or otherwise? Might try to get down to the BWA events, maybe Watergate, but it often depends if work will allow.
- Any specific moves you’re training at the moment? So many, which sport? SUP; I am really keen to start working on busting out 360’s but they are a bit of a way off yet. Windsurfing; I am working on wave 360’s and switch konos.
- Who do you normally ride with? Laura. There is also a great crew up in the North East.
- Who’s better in the water – Toby or Laura? Laura is amazing, not many girls get in the water all year round –particularly in Scotland!
- Tea or coffee? Coffee every time.
- Dogs or cats? Cats – our cat Shaka is part of the family.
- Bacon or sausage? Both.
- Hot or cold? Cold.
- Any final shouts or mentions? If you’re not in the water in 2014 make this the year to get wet – it will change your life!
Nice one guys, we look forward to see you rip it up in 2014!